Saturday 27 February 2010

Giving and receiving

"But if I'm not the same, the next question is , 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!" (Alice In Wonderland)

I'm not sure what an 'Art Journal' is for and I think there are many answers to the question so I'm going to use it as a pondering device for the question Alice poses.

I have been very inspired by the concept of 'Art Journaling' of late and the posts of Rinda. Also the posts of Jacky and Katie who always try new things and look at the world differently. I made my first art journal a while back and I have been sitting looking at it and thinking, and thinking...
Yesterday and today I've been inspired and made my first page
'Giving and Receiving'

I've made it using watercolour paper, acrylic and watercolour paints with some perfect pearls too. The stamps are Paperartsy, Joanna Sheen and g Studio. It also includes collage and PM (Black), Inksessential (white) and Sakura Gelly roll (Silver) graffiti.
My version of the Cheshire Cat. "It looked good-natured, she thought: still it had very long claws and a great many teeth, so she felt that it ought to be treated with respect."
A good way of looking at many of the gifts life gives us I think!




I first came across this quote when a respected teacher wrote it in a card when I left Primary School and it's always stuck with me, of course when I realised it was from Shakespeare's 'Hamlet' it doubled in significance and I still think it holds really. When I came across it in the Paperartsy collection I had to have it.

For me it holds up when looking at my own behaviour and that of others.

This has been a really interesting creative step for me, thanks for staying with me through the post - sorry if I've bored you. I am entering this in Rinda's 'Alice Art Challenge' as a way of saying thanks for the inspiration and as the beginning of this new journey for me!
Rinda has pointed me in the direction of The Scrappy Tree who have an Art Journaling Friday challenge - Alice inspired page - so I think if it's ok with the very talented gals over there - my page fits. It's really a great way of getting feedback and finding new directions to go in.
Have a sunny Sat! XXX

10 comments:

  1. Oh Cherry,
    I love it!!! The row of castles/houses is awesome, as is your cat. There is just so much goodness to look at throughout. By the way, The Scrappy Tree is also running an Alice challenge if you want to check it out. The prompt is also an Art Journal. And thanks so much for your kind words on being an inspiration - I never get tired of hearing that sort of thing!
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Cherry, what brilliant inspirational work. Fantastic.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherry...this is just stunning....I absolutely love it....and particularly love the way you've used the castles....what did you use to stamp them?
    I,too,love Rinda's blog and am constantly inspired by her....and I wasn't in the least bit bored by your post....it's fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Rinda's inspirational posts too :) and I love what you've done here. Thanks for letting us have a look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherry, thank you so much for playing along with us this weekend, your page is just perfect for the theme and absolutely stunning to boot! I love the colours you used, and your Cheshire Cat is an absolute darling!
    Let me know if you wanted to put a picture of or a link to your journal page up over at the Ning group we set up for this challenge, we would love to have you there! :)
    thescrappytree at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh Cherry this is brilliant, I love your style and you are so right, it's always good to try new things. Paper Artsy have some great stamps and I now realise I need more! This is a really excellent piece Cherry, you should be proud xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! just love it Cherry. well done and good luck!! ClareX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it :-) Great interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a stunning page. I especially enjoy your use of colour, and the illustrations.

    I've only just started journaling, and being arty after 20 some years!
    I made one too: http://bohemianshadows.blogspot.com/2010/02/journal-prompt-alice.html

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow those are fabulous - love the colours !
    maddy x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today - comments are really appreciated. Here's sending love back to you. Hugs Cherry XXX